Mary L. Holderness, Artist
After working in a variety of fields, some not related to art, I returned to painting and drawing some years ago when I moved to Oregon from Texas, and I have been dedicated to drawing and painting for more than ten years.
I was inspired by the beauty all around me, and I felt compelled to capture it in watercolor painting. I love our landscapes and harmonious compositions of natural settings and buildings.
For me painting is a way of holding onto not only a scene itself, but also my own perceptions of its special character at the moment—the time, the weather, the season.
I am interested in reflections, light and shadow, shape and perspective, and the surprisingly colorful palettes of all the seasons. I have also begun to enjoy working at times in a spontaneous and colorful semi-abstract manner and some of my work falls into this category.
My Contact Information
About the Paintings
If you would like to buy a painting or print, contact me for its price and to confirm availability, and to arrange details of delivery or shipping.
Gicleé prints are available of some paintings.
One-person Show, 1 - 31 March 2011
3508 SW Corbett Avenue,
Portland, Oregon 97239
Hours: 10:00-4:30, Monday - Friday
- The Watercolor Society of Oregon
- The Oregon Society of Art
- The North Clackamas Arts Guild
- The Village Gallery of Arts
- The Critique Group: The Art Pack
- 2005 - Clackamas Co. Fair; 3rd Place in Landscape painting
- 2006 - Clackamas Co. Fair; 3rd Place in Landscape painting
- 2006 - Clackamas Co. Fair; 6th Place in Landscape painting
- 2006 - Rose Festival Art Show; Honorable Mention
- 2007 - Clackamas Co. Fair; Honorable Mention in Landscape painting
- 2007 - Clackamas Co. Fair; 2nd Place in Drawing
- 2008 - Clackamas Co. Fair; 1st Place in Still Life painting
- 2008 - Rose Festival Art Show; Peopleís Choice
- 2009 - Clackamas Co. Fair; 2nd Place in Still Life painting
Juried or Invitational Oregon Art Shows
- Rose Festival Art Show, June 2002 - 2004, 2006-2009
- Art in the Burbs, Fall 2003- 2005, 2007-2009
- Art and All That Jazz, Fall 2003
- Watercolor Society of Oregon, Spring Show 2008
- Arts Action Alliance , 3-person show 2006, 1-person show 2007
- Gresham Visual Arts Gallery Art Wok Show 2006
- Cawain Gallery, Pacific University, Forest Grove, Oregon
- Portland Commissioner Dan Saltzmanís Office 2007
- Doll Gardner Gallery in West Hills Unitarian Church 2006
- Gallery in Unitarian Universalist Church, Portland, Ore.2006
- Eastrose Unitarian Church in Gresham, Oregon 2005
- East Portland Community Center, One-person Show, 2009
- East Portland Community Center, One-person Show, 2010